Vegan Nutrition 101: Part 1
How to make sure you get all the nutrients you need from plants
There are a lot of misconceptions out there, on both sides of the fence, about how to get balanced nutrition.
Conflicting opinions can get overwhelming.
There are 2 extreme viewpoints I’m looking to balance:
1. It’s impossible to get all the nutrients you need from a vegan diet – you need meat, dairy, eggs and fish to to be healthy.
2. It’s impossible not to get all the nutrients you need from a vegan diet – you can eat whatever you want and be healthy.
Guess what? Neither of these statements are true!
You can absolutely get all the nutrients your body needs from plants, but there are some important things you need to know to do it right.
Watch the video to learn what you need to know to be a healthy, happy vegan – including the 5 key nutrients you should be sure to cover.
(And, for the record, it’s entirely possible to not get the nutrients your body needs from eating animals. There are way more than 5 nutrients I would stress to most meat eaters.)
Be sure to download the cheat sheet for this lesson, so you can post in on your fridge as a reminder for how to answer the skeptics who try to tell you #1 above.
The driving force behind my online meal plan program is to show you exactly what to in to get the nutritional balance your body needs to be healthy. And then you can be a shining example to prove that although #2 is an oversimplification, vegans can be amazingly healthy.
The meal plan lays out all the recipes, portioned according to your individual energy needs with nutritional breakdown, weekly grocery list, and lots more to help make this as easy as possible.
Are you getting enough variety of plant foods to cover those 5 key nutrients? Do you have any other questions about vegan nutrition? Let me know below!
Coming up next: How can I tell if I’m deficient?
Now that you know which nutrients are important to get enough of, you need to know what signs to watch for in case you aren’t getting enough.
The next post in this series will be about deficiency symptoms and blood testing for these important nutrients.
Not signed up for this series? Get in on it, over on the left.
- Vegan diet plan for balanced nutrition
- Tips for New Vegans, by Jack Norris RD on VeganHealth
- Plant-Based Diets, by Dr. Michael Gregor on NutritionFacts (many videos to watch here)
- How to thrive on a plant-based diet, by The Vegan Society
- 6 Simple Ways to Be the Healthiest Vegan Ever