Fresh basil pesto is a great way to use the basil that matures late summer all at once, and a healthy alternative to store-bought pesto.
It makes a perfect topping for homemade veggie burgers!
Fresh basil is fantastically nutritious, full of vitamin K for healthy bones, and has anti-bacterial and DNA-protective qualities.
Pine nuts are a natural appetite suppressant, which might help you from overeating this amazingly delicious pesto…
Healthy & Fresh Basil Pesto Recipe
Makes about 1 1/2 cups of pesto.
- 1 clove of fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (or sunflower seeds or walnuts)
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- Put everything in a food processor or blender, and puree until smooth, pushing down the sides when needed.
- Serve as a spread for sandwiches or veggie burgers, as a dip, or tossed with chilled pasta and cherry tomatoes.