This is a tried and true summer recipe, perfect for BBQs, picnics, or dinner on the patio. The lime adds a real freshness to the skewers and you can use any vegetables you want to really!
Zesty Summer Vegetable Skewers Recipe
Time from start to eating:
Makes enough for 8 skewers
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil or mint, finely chopped
- 8 medium mushrooms, quartered or halved (depending on size)
- 1 zucchini, quartered and cut into chunks
- 1 onion, quartered and cut into chunks
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper, cut into large pieces
- Put the zest and juice of one or more limes (depending on the quantity of vegetables you’re cooking) into a bowl, and add the salt and fresh basil or mint. Let this sit for the flavor of the lime and the herb to come together.
- Cut the vegetables, and you can either marinate them then skewer, or skewer then marinate. I find it easier to marinate then skewer, since you can shake or stir the vegetables around in the lime juice when they’re free.
- Let the vegetables marinate for about an hour, then put the skewers on a BBQ or grill at medium-high heat for 15 minutes, turning occasionally to make sure they don’t burn. You can also cook them on the stove or in an oven if you don’t have a grill.