Photo credit: Nicole Axworthy
This fabulous recipes comes to you from Dreena Burton, vegan cookie guru extraordinaire, as one of the many fabulous recipes in The China Study All-Star Collection. (Click through to enter the giveaway!!)
Dreena says, “These are a terrific ‘on-the-go’ healthy breakfast or a perfect snack anytime of the day. Our whole family loves them!”
Dreena’s Pumpkin Seed and Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
Makes 12-16 bars
Recipe used with permission from Benbella Books and Dreena Burton.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups oat flour
- 3–4 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2–3 tablespoons nondairy chocolate chips (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8–1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 1–2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons unsweetened plain nondairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, oat flour, pumpkin seeds, chocolate chips, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the brown rice syrup with maple syrup and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry mixture, stirring until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8 × 8 baking dish or brownie pan lined with parchment paper and press it down until evenly distributed.
- Using a sharp knife, cut to mark out the bars before you bake them to make it easier to fully cut and remove the bars once baked. (I usually mark out 16 bars, but you can make them whatever size you like.)
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove and let cool in pan. Once cooled, use a sharp knife to fully cut the bars, then remove with a spatula.
Tip: Mini chocolate chips are great if you have them. You can also substitute the pumpkin seeds and chocolate chips with raisins, cranberries, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, unsweetened coconut, or other dried fruit (chopped, if needed).
Enter to win a copy of both the China Study All-Star Collection and The China Study Cookbook!