If you’ve never tried jicama you’re in for a treat. This recipes uses mango and basil for a tropical and highly flavorful meal. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!I love making raw healthy vegan recipes in the summer to keep myself – and the kitchen – cool. This week, I had some gorgeous fresh basil from the market so I had to go with that. I’m torn as to which flavor combo I like more.
Jicama Salad with Basil Mango Sauce Recipe
Makes enough for 6 servings, depending on the size of your jicama
- 1 jicama, peeled and grated
- 1 mango
- 1/4 cup (approx) of water or rice/almond milk
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil
- 1 large green onion
- salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp tahini (optional)
Other flavor ideas:
- Fresh mint and ginger
- Fresh thyme and chives
- Put the grated jicama in a large bowl.
- Puree the mango in a food processor or blender, with just enough liquid to make a thick sauce. Add the seasonings, and the tahini if you want to make a thicker, creamier and more filling sauce. Let the jicama marinate in the sauce, covered in the fridge, for an hour or more to break down some of the starch. Serve over a bed of greens, topped with cashews or a sunflower seed-nutritional yeast mixture.