These little no-bake bites are a perfect energy booster and end of summer (or any time!) treat. The toasted seeds give it the perfect crunch, and orange zest the perfect pop of flavor.
They’re a no-bake remix of my high-protein quinoa cookie recipe, and I’m having a hard time deciding which one I like better…
Make them with or without the touch of coffee beans, you can swap cocoa nibs or chocolate chips if you prefer. Or go with the dried cranberries from the baked version, which would be lovely with the orange zest.
No-bake Quinoa Coffee Energy Bites
Time from start to eating:
Makes 12 bites
Note: I’ve halved the recipe from what I filmed, because unless you plan to eat 24 of these little bites in the next week, the coffee beans don’t maintain their crunch in the moisture of the rest of the ingredients. Best to make smaller batches.
- 2 Tbsp almond, cashew or sunflower seed butter
- 2 Tbsp maple or brown rice syrup
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup amaranth, quinoa and/or teff grains, toasted OR sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp almond or vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 Tbsp chopped coffee beans, cocoa nibs, or chocolate chips (or a combo!) OR dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- Mix together the nut/seed butter and syrup until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients, making sure the consistency is holding into a ball. If it doesn’t hold, add more cooked quinoa and/or nut/seed butter mixed with syrup until it’s holding together.
- Form them into balls on a lined tray, and put in the fridge to set for about 15 minutes.
- Enjoy your bites as a perfect side to a big smoothie for breakfast, as an afternoon snack, or if you opted out of the coffee beans they would be a lovely healthy dessert.