This Spicy Southern Burger Recipe is a great option for a quick dinner, and with fast-cooking kasha as the base, your meal will be ready in no time.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Time from start to eating: 45 minutes
Makes enough for 4 burgers
Veggie burgers make for fun and tasty dinners because once you make them, there are so many options for eating them! On a bun, on some greens, under a pickle and a tomato, with some home-baked french fries.
- 1 cup kasha (toasted buckwheat)
- 2 carrots, grated
- handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp basil*
- 1 tsp thyme*
- ½ tsp oregano*
- ½ tsp paprika*
- ½ tsp ground mustard powder*
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper*
- salt and pepper, to taste
- *or 1 tsp Mexican Chili Mix and 1 Tbsp Italian Herb Mix – Homemade Spice Mixes
- Add 2 cups water for every 1 cup buckwheat. Sprinkle a bit of sea salt in the water, bring it to a boil for a couple of minutes, then turn down to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Buckwheat is fully cooked when it is soft and fully open. Do not stir the buckwheat while it is cooking.
- Once it’s cooked, stir the grated carrot, fresh parsley and spices into the buckwheat. Form the mixture into patties, and bake or fry into a burger. To bake, add a tablespoon of olive oil to the mixture, form into patties and lay on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Put them in an oven at around 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until browned on the outside. To fry, heat a pan, add a teaspoon of olive oil and put the patties in the pan, being sure to get some oil on the bottom side. Allow them to cook for 5 minutes on both sides.
- Serve your burgers on a bun, with tomato and lettuce, or naked over a salad.